Our client, a growing E-Commerce start-up is adding to their expanding team an Accounting Manager. This thriving company offers room to learn and grow as desired. The culture is inviting, and they take good care of each other as we continue to nurture the business. The position is located in Oakland.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Own, manage and review the monthly close process and activities including the reporting of monthly department expenses to respective leaders
- Maintain or develop accounting policies, procedures, and process documentation in accordance with US GAAP
- Manage deep understanding of end-to-end inventory accounting by distribution channel including analysis of costs that support current period trends, balances, margins and future financial impacts
- Maintain and develop internal financial controls and procedures for areas of responsibility, including developing and/or updating procedures to enhance efficiency
- Manage and/or participate in accounting training and development of staff accountants
- Foster and manage strong relationships with suppliers and other third-party stakeholders such as our banks, our tax consultants and any governing bodies (tax authorities).
- Prepare quarterly investor reporting
- Assist with the evaluation of new accounting systems, where applicable
- Gather, summarize, analyze and synthesize the business’ transactional data and make reasonable conclusions that facilitate key accounting and business decisions
- Technical understanding of US GAAP including inventory and lease accounting; ability to summarize the proper accounting treatment and develop documented internal accounting policies that comply; train staff accountants to perform accounting in line with these accounting policies
Requirements and Qualifications
- BA/BS/Master’s in Accounting or equivalent work experience, with a CPA license preferred but is not required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Experience in the retail/e-commerce industry is preferred
- Strong understanding of cost accounting and inventory, experience in implementing systems is a BIG plus
- Consistently demonstrates high degree of accuracy
- Understanding and experience with inventory systems and the related control environment preferred
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Able to manage multiple priorities and work cross-functionally with other departments
- Able to thrive in a fast paced and dynamic environment where change is constant
Murdock Martell, Inc. is a leading financial consulting and recruiting firm that provides solutions to established and emerging growth companies. We represent some of the strongest companies in the Bay Area with an emphasis in technology and life sciences start-ups.